What is dramatherapy
Dramatherapy is a form of psychological therapy which uses drama related techniques such as storytelling, metaphor, play and movement, improvisation, puppets and music, to support people to understand themselves and make positive changes in their lives.
Dramatherapy’s creative flexibility makes it an appropriate intervention for people of all ages from children and adolescents through to older adults.
Dramatherapy can be of help to those who are
- experiencing mental health challenges
- feeling anxious
- struggling with communicating
- feeling isolated
- having problems with peers
- experiencing family difficulties
- living with depression
- trying to overcome trauma
- encountering difficulties at school
- having behavioural problems
- facing a bereavement or loss
- enduring low self-esteem
- engaging in self-destructive behaviour
- struggling to self-regulate
You do not need to have any skills or experience of drama, theatre or the arts to take part in dramatherapy. The aim isn’t to perform but rather to work with the therapeutic aspects of drama at your own pace.
All Roundabout’s dramatherapists are fully qualified to a postgraduate standard; they are registered with the Health Professionals Council and regularly supervised by the management team.
Sessions in schools every week
Who we work with
Roundabout works with a wide range of service users spanning all ages and with a variety of needs.
- Attachment disorder
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder
- Autism spectrum disorder
- Children transferring to secondary school
- Complex needs
- Emotional and behavioural difficulties in wellbeing
- Family dysfunction
- Learning disabilities
- Looked after children
- Medical disorders
- Mental health needs
- Obsessive compulsive disorder
- Older adults – for more information click here
- People with dementia
- Physical disabilities
- Selective mutism
- Sensory impairment
- Special needs
- Speech and language difficulties
- Substance misuse
- Victims of abuse
- Young carers
To see our Annual Report on the Charity Commission website, click here
We are a passionate team of fully qualified dramatherapists with varying backgrounds and interests.